Along the way, some highlights of our jouney include:
- forming 200+ connections throughout LA County,
- creating a Google Voice hotline number, which received up to 30 calls a day,
- receiving referrals from the LA Mayor's Office, 211, and 311,
- composing a matching algorithm that returns the closest available volunteers,
- receiving a Covid-19 rapid response grant from Peace First,
- partnering with Wanderly and Nova Medical Products,
- and press features in LA Times, KTLA 5 News, The Beach Reporter, BeachLife Festival, and Stanford Center for South Asia.
Witnessing and being a part of such amazing youth-led efforts in the wake of Covid-19 gave me hope. It also inspired me to become an ambassador for Peace First, an organization that empowers young people ages 13-25 to be effective changemakers. As an ambassador, I help other young people define and enact solutions for injustices in their communities.
In May 2020, our LA branch merged with another LA mutual aid group, AllTogether LA. This merge has allowed us to expand our reach across LA County to 750+ high-risk individuals. Due to our non-profit status, we are also able to provide free and subsidized groceries to low-income seniors.
Within AllTogether LA, I facilitate partnerships with organizations such as Shop4Seniors and FightPandemics. Recently, I created a Typescript web app, which our volunteer coordinators use daily to match volunteers with individuals in need.